Festival Betances at Villa Victoria Community 100 W. Dedham Street July 15th and 16th, 2017
July 15th and 16th, 2017 at Villa Victoria Community of Boston’s South End, 100 W. Dedham St.
New England’s longest-running Latino Cultural Celebration.
What is Festival Betances?
Festival Betances has become a staple in New England’s Latino community. Every year it draws a 3,000 multi-cultural audience. Through the years, Betances’ stage has seen multiple musical and dance performances, ranging from local and regional acts to international Latin music icons such as Larry Harlow from Fania All Stars, Tony Vega, and Tito Rojas.
The Festival is named after Ramón Emeterio Betances, a Puerto Rican patriot whose medical contributions benefited Latin America, the Caribbean, and the United States. He also became a leader in awakening national consciousness in Puerto Rico, and is considered one of the foremost intellectuals of the 19th century. There is a plaza and a mural dedicated to him where the festival is held.
Our family-friendly weekend includes: a parade, traditional cuisine, arts and crafts, a greased pole competition, children’s activities like face painting and inflatables, and other treats that highlight the diversity of Latino culture.
Let us know what you’re most excited about for Festival Betances this year on our event page!
Check out some of this year’s artists below:
Vinny Rivera: This talented, bilingual singer lends his voice to Salsa, Bachata, Kizomba, Mambo, and more
Eric Germán y Su Orquesta : This percussionist, bandleader, composer, and producer along with his 12-piece band performs swinging salsa music
Zayra Pola with 3nity: This Salsa singer, drummer, & percussionist is sure to bring everyone to their feet with her melodious voice and rhythmic beats
Ray De La Paz y Su Orquesta: This well known Salsa performer has traveled the world “wherever dancing rules,” captivating audiences with his smooth voice and bilingual performances for more than 30 years
El Amable De La Salsa Johnny Rivera: This tropical and salsa performer and producer has toured the globe performing, and made a name for himself with well-known songs like “Cuando Parará La Lluvia” and “Por Eso Esta Conmigo”
“A perfect display of the power of the arts within a community. A gathering of people from all walks of life all thanks to latino culture and the work done at IBA.” – Alex Alvear, musician and former performance manager at IBA
There are many ways to participate in Festival Betances!
The Perfect Chance for Exposure
- Sell your crafts: For the opportunity to display and sell your crafts at your own table to thousands of people at the festival, fill out the Artisan’s Table Form.
- Sell your merchandise: To sell your merchandise to all who will attend the festival, fill out the Vendor’s Table Form.
- Sell your delicious food: If you would like to sell your favorite Latino dishes or drinks to all the attendees, reserve your space by filling out this form.
- Promote your business: This is also the time to advertise yourself! Book an informational table and spread the word about your business to everyone present by filling out this form.
Get Involved with your Community
- Volunteer: If you’d like to donate your time while having some fun, check out our volunteering options for any of the days the festival will be running then apply to be a volunteer here.
- Participate in the Parade: Festival Betances hosts an annual parade and everyone is welcome to participate, from dance troupes to sports teams, groups of friends, or companies. If you are interested in taking part, fill out the Parade Form.
- Compete in the Domino Tournament. Festival Betances hosts an annual Domino Tournament every Saturday and Sunday of the Festival. Sign up for this year’s tournament here.